Friday, November 5, 2010

How I Got "Hooked" !

Austin (my son) and I were on our way to California to a tradeshow...stopping in Laramine WY for fuel. There IT was....the most colorful tractor/trailer we had ever seen! Smokin' Joe! WOW, Austin said! He asked me if I thought they had shirts and hats..I said "go ask", you'll never know if you don't ask! Austin came back all in tears, said they didn't have any! "Bull" I said...got on the CB and asked where they were heading...answer came back.."Somona, CA"..!
I headed out when they did, stopping at the rest stops, diners, etc...when they did..Needless to say, by the time we all crossed the State of California  line, I had shirts and hats and "friends".

The tradeshow we were going to was outside Somona, CA...what was the luck of that? We were able to  go to the track on Thursday of the event...We both got hooked..Thank you Big Jim Coakley and Jeff Mackey...with Jim Head Racing. Have been friends with them ever since..and for the love of drag racing. That was 16 years ago!

After that trip, I started scheduling my tradeshows around the drag racing events. Eventually I had a
showcar program with Tom Martino PS..travelling to all the NHRA National Events.

It just shows if you are determined enough anything can happen!

Don't ever give up! If you want it bad enough, you'll get it!

Till later....I just may spill the beans!

B

P.S. For our tradeshows, I had a "Kodiak" truck and a 40' 5th wheel trailer! Travelling over 40,000 miles a year and doing up to 54 shows a year..Gary had a dually and a 24' tag trailer. We did the tradeshows for over 15 years for our living.

No comments:

Post a Comment